How to Charge a Car Battery
As an important car part, the battery is what powers up the vehicle. It also allows you to listen to the radio, see better at night, and more. Without a properly working battery, you run the risk of being stranded in Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg, or Carlisle.
So, if the battery dies, you could try charging it up. Our team at Faulkner Toyota Harrisburg will tell you how to charge a car battery, and what to do if it needs to be replaced.
Charging a Car Battery
In order to charge a car battery, you’ll first want to make sure the car is completely shut off. This includes all the lights and accessories. Otherwise, the battery could have an electric arc and catch on fire.
There are two ways to charge a battery. You can either use jumper cables or a portable charger…
Charging with Jumper Cables
- Have a running vehicle park close to yours and have a set of jumper cables handy.
- Turn that car off and locate the batteries under each hood.
- Connect the red clip from the cable to the positive terminal of your battery. Then, take the other red clip and attach it to the other car’s battery.
- Connect one of black clips to the negative terminal of the other person’s car battery.
- Attach the other black clip to a metal surface on your vehicle that’s not near the battery.
- Start the working automobile, letting the engine run for a few minutes.
- Turn your vehicle on and see if it’ll start.
Using a Portable Charger
- Make sure the charger is turned off.
- Attach the positive cable on the charger to the positive terminal on the battery.
- Connect the negative cable on the charger to the negative terminal on the battery.
- Set the charger to the slowest charging rate.
- Turn it on and set the timer.
It could take about 6-12 hours to fully charge the battery. This all depends on how low the voltage is and the colder cranking amps there are.
What If a Car Battery Doesn’t Hold a Charge?
If you try either of the above-mentioned methods, but the battery still won’t work, then it needs to be replaced.
When that’s the case, have the experts at your local service center take care of it. They’ll make sure the new battery fits inside your automobile perfectly.
This means that the size will fit the dimensions and terminal locations of your vehicle. Plus, it’ll have sufficient cold cranking amps, meaning that it can start in cold climates.
The new battery will be of the highest quality, and it’ll be installed quickly and efficiently. This way, you can get back to your busy day as soon as possible.
Schedule a Battery Repair or Replacement Today
Whether your Toyota battery needs a simple charge or a full replacement, we can help! Bring your car to the Faulkner Toyota Harrisburg Service Center as soon as possible. You’ll then be driving around Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg, and Carlisle in a well-performing vehicle in no time.